10/29/13

First Home

“People from my first home say I'm brave. They tell me I'm strong. They pat me on the back and say, 'Way to go. Good job.' But the truth is, I am not really very brave; I am not really very strong; and I am not doing anything spectacular. I am simply doing what God has called me to do as a person who follows Him. He said to feed His sheep and He said to care for 'the least of these,' so that's what I'm doing, with the help of a lot people who make it possible and in the company of those who make my life worth living.”
― Katie J. Davis, Kisses from Katie It's still hard for me to believe that I've found any sort of home, here in Africa. As someone who grew up thinking I'd probably never leave the States, I still marvel on a daily basis that I'm even here. That God called me and has an incredible plan to use me in this place. Day to day life is beautiful. My relationship with the Lord grows closer and closer. The perspective I've gained over a few months would span years in America. And so I say this with some hesitation... I miss my first home.

I almost hate to be that honest with myself, let alone anyone else, but I think this needs to be documented. I'll need to look back on this experience the next time I go on the mission field, remembering only the good times that bore so much fruit. The good news is I've got plenty of those memories to look back on. But today - this week - I miss my first home. This is the week I would've been back. The week I would've seen my friends, gone for coffee, hugged my mom for hours while crying in her arms over all the things I've seen. This is the week. But I'm here. I'm staying. And I'm so thankful for that. If I were home, right now, doing all those things, I would know I missed out. I would know that God had more from me here and I didn't stay to see what He would do. This quote hit home for me because I talk about this very thing all the time. The "bravery" of the mission field. The "strength" of those who step out into what God has called them to. By no means am I more brave than anyone else. By no means am I stronger in any sense of the word. But God called me and therefore I went. I know this doesn't sound like any sort of encouraging message, but I hope it is. If I can do this, you can too. Taking the step may be hard, the process may challenge you, the road won't be easy. But if it's what God is calling you to, it'll be more rewarding than anything you've ever done. You'll find the support of your loved ones overwhelming on those days you miss your first home. You'll discover that God's grace and comfort are beyond anything you could've imagined. You'll discover your life.

No comments: